Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2016

REAL LIFE: Assessment Centres


Looking for a graduate role when you graduate is not easy.
In my mind, I was a bit naive and thought that once I graduated I would have a job in a business field.
I did not realise how many graduates start their careers within recruitment or sales!!

So I searched for graduate roles that would allow me to get experience whilst working and in different departments of a business so I can find out what I do and do not like.
Once you apply for a role you cross your fingers and hope they like what they see on your CV.

The next stage is usually a telephone interview where they ask competency based questions and give you a little more information about the role. Thiss only lasts around 15-20 minutes; but it goes by so fast! It can be a daunting experience knowing that this is essentially the first impression you are giving to an employee of the prospective company.

If you pass that stage you get invited to take online tests. These online tests are not my favourite. You can spend so much time revising for these and still be thrown in the deep end! They take 1 hour to complete but the practice tests are there for you to take as many times as you want. I highly suggest practising the tests many times so that you are prepared. You can also use practice sites for before and/or inbetween different numerical & verbal tests.
 Practice Tests here!

Again, if you're lucky enough to pass these then you're on to a winner!
Next step is assessment centre.
The scariest part and also the final part!

I haven't had experience of many assessment centres but after each one I always learn more about what to expect and what is expected of me.
It does seem like a lot of hard work and a lot of time if you don't get a successful outcome. However, it is all about experience and learning about what you need to work on for the next one! As the saying goes. 'Practise makes perfect!'

If you have any questions then please ask and I shall answer them!

Until next time, xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment